Literature for peer-reviewed publishing
How to write a paper
- Belcher, W.L. 2009. Writing your journal article in 12 weeks. A guide to academic publishing success. Sage, Thousand Oaks.
- Day, R.A., Gastel, B. 2011. How to write & publish a scientific paper. 7th ed. Greenwood, Santa Barbara.
- Gastel, B., Day, R.A. 2016. How to write & publish a scientific paper. 8th ed. Greenwood, Santa Barbara.
- Hall, G.M. (ed.) 2008. How to write a paper. 4th ed. Blackwell Publishing, Massachusetts.
- Johnson, W.B., Mullen, C.A. 2007. Write to the top! How to become a prolific academic. Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- Katz, M.J. 2006. From research to manuscript: A guide to scientific writing. Dordrecht, Springer.
- Martin, P.R. 2005. Writer’s little introduction book. Getting published. Cincinnati, Writer’s Digest Books.
- Murray, R. 2004. Writing for academic journals. Open University Press.
- Pierson, D.J. 2004. The top 10 reasons why manuscripts are not accepted for publication. Respiratory Care 49 (10), 1246-1252.
- Recher, H.F., Calver, M.C., Saunders, D.A. 2009. Communication and the publication process. Pacific Conservation Biology 15(2), 77-79.
- Tress, G., Tress, B., Fry, G. 2005. How to publish a peer-reviewed research paper from integrative landscape research. In: Tress, B., Tress, G., Fry, G., Opdam, P. (eds.). From landscape research to landscape planning: Aspects of integration, education and application. Heidelberg, Springer, 259-275.
- Tress, G., Tress, B., Saunders, D.A. 2014. How to write a paper for successful publication in international peer-reviewed journals. Pacific Conservation Biology 20(1), 17-24.
How to review a paper
- Benos, D.J., Kirk, K.L., Hall, J.E. 2003. How to review a paper. Advances in Physiology Education 27, 47-52.
- Davidson, A.J., Carlin, J.B. 2008. What a reviewer wants. Pediatric Anesthesia 18, 1149-1156.
- Vintzileos, A.M., Ananth, C.V. 2010. The art of peer-reviewing an original research paper. Journal of Ultrasound Medicine 29, 513-518.
- Winck, J.C., Fonseca, J.A., Azevedo, L.F., Wedzicha, J.A. 2011. To publish or perish: How to review a manuscript. Pneumologia - Portuguese Journal of Pulmonology 17 (2), 96-103.
Fun to read (but also helpful)
- Calver, M. 2015. How to sabotage your Pacific Conservation Biology paper. Pacific Conservation Biology, 21, 103–104.
- Chapman, C., Slade, T. 2015. Rejection of rejection: a novel approach to overcoming barriers to publication. British Medical Journal 351:h6326.
- Cormode, G. 2008. How not to review a paper: The tools and techniques of the adversarial reviewer. SIGMOD Record 37 (4), 100-104.
- Glass, R.L. 2000. A letter from the frustrated author of a journal paper. The Journal of Systems and Software 54, 1
- Sand-Jensen, K. 2007. How to write consistently boring scientific literature. Oikos 116, 723-727.
- Trebino, R. 2009. How to publish a scientific comment. Physics World, November 2009, 56.
- AMA [American Medical Association] Manual of Style 2007. A guide for authors and editors. 10th ed., Oxford University Press.
- APA [American Psychological Association] 2009. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th ed. American Psychological Association.
- Coghill, A.M., Garson, L.R. (eds.) 2006. The ACS [American Chemical Society] Style Guide. Effective Communication of Scientific Information. 3rd ed. Oxford University Press, American Chemical Society.
- Council of Science Editors 2006. Scientific Style And Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, And Publishers. 7th ed. Council of Science Editors.
- University of Chicago Press Staff 2010. The Chicago Manual of Style. 16th ed., University of Chicago Press.
About publishing in journals
- Pisanski, K. et al. 2017. Predatory journals recruit fake editor. Nature 543, 23 March 2017, No. 7646, 481-483.
Scientometrics & bibliometrics
- Wouters, P. 2017. Eugene Garfield (1925-2017) Inventor of the Science Citation Index. Nature 543, 23 March 2017, No. 7646, 492.